Tel: 01992 471001


Travelling abroad with your car post Brexit

Uncertainty remains on whether the UK leaves the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement (a ‘no-deal Brexit’), if this happens, UK motor insurance customers driving in the European Economic Area, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland will need physical proof of motor insurance when they travel, commonly referred to as a Green Card.

In preparation for insurers have been reviewing their processes for the fulfilment of Green Cards to ensure customers continue to receive the service they have come to expect.
What is a Green Card?
A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance, which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third party insurance cover. These certificates prove that customers are suitably insured to drive in these countries and replace the current European disclosures held on the back of Certificates of Motor Insurance.
Why is a Green Card needed?
Any UK motorist travelling outside the UK using their insured vehicle will need to carry a Green Card as proof of motor insurance in the event no deal is reached between the UK and EU with regard to the UK participation in the Green Card Free Circulation Area. This includes for example:
• People who drive across the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border.
• Any UK motorist planning to drive their vehicle in the Green Card free circulation area (EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland) for business or pleasure.
Do customers need to request a Green Card immediately?
At present, insurers offer customers the ability to drive within the European Union under their motor insurance policy; this cover is still in place and nothing will change until the 29th March 2019. If planning a trip that is completed during or after the 29th March 2019 then there is a requirement for them to produce a Green Card for international officials.
Can a customer show a digital copy of their Green Card at the border?
No, a physical copy of a Green Card on plain A4 green paper is needed when travelling, as digital copies are not currently accepted. If customers arrive at the border without a physical Green Card on plain green paper, they will not be allowed to drive in that country.
What is the process for issuing a Green Card?
Customers are advised to contact their insurance broker or intermediary to request a Green Card if they’re travelling outside the UK in their insured vehicle during or after the 29th March 2019.
Please note this must be printed on A4 plain Green paper to be valid and effective dates of cover must be within the period of insurance shown on the Certificate of Insurance.
What is the minimum period of time that a Green Card can be issued?
A Green Card must be for at least a period of 14 calendar days that are covered within the period of the policy.
Will there be a charge for issuing a Green Card?
No, insurers will not charge to issue Green Cards to our mutual customers, but Brokers may decide to apply an administration fee.
What if the customer wishes to travel outside of EEA countries?
The Green Card will only cover countries in the EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland. If additional countries are required then a request will need to be made to your broker / intermediary stating the country that the customer wishes to visit.

Recent blogs

  • Archives

  • Calendar

    May 2024
    M T W T F S S

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.